RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Convention update, 01 Mar 2002

Hi Guys - I have made multiple attempts to get this on the server.

My test messages are going through without any problem, but I can't get
this one to post. If in-fact, it is a problem with my own ISP, once they
release them, it will be like 20 attempts will post at once.
Sorry about that if it happens.

I will try yet again -
Sincerely,
Greg
----------------
Dear PSubbers -

I have taken the liberty of looking up a TON of regatta rules, but I
think that for this event, we should make our own.

The questions that remain are:

      How many subs will be participating?

      Are they 1 ATM or ambient (and do we make separate categories).

      Do we separate speed from maneuverability

            (I.e. straight course vs. obstacle course)?

Obviously, safety must be first, and we will establish common sense
guidelines for this. I envision an open figure "eight" course with four
items to record observing and a channel at the middle to pass through.

.                                  FLEET HERE

.

.

.

.                    START/FINISH ZONE (Submerge to 15-20 feet)

.                    _______________

.                    |             |

.                    |             |

.                    |             |

.                    |             |

.                    |_____________|

.

.                       /     \

.                      /       \

.                     /         \

.            {return}/           \{out}

.                   /             \

.                  /               \

.                 /                 \

.              < #4 >@ 15 feet    < #1 > @ 15 feet

.                 \                 /

.                  \               /

.                   \             /

.                    \           /

.                     \         /

.                      \       /

.                       \     /

.                        \   /

.                      ()     ()  PASS BETWEEN BOUYS (spotter boat here)

. .                     /     \

.                      /       \

.                     /         \

.            {return}/           \{out}

.                   /             \

.                  /               \

.                 /                 \

.              < #3 >@25 feet     < #2 > @ 25 feet

.                 \                 /

.                  \               /

.                   \             /

.                    \           /

.                     \         /

.                      \       /

.                       \     /

.                        \   /

.                    _______________

.                    |             |

.                    |             | SURFACE and circle buoy

.                    |             | then RESUBMERGE

.                    |    XXXX     |

.                    |_____________|

.                       SPOTTER BOAT

.

.

.

The entire length of the course could be about 200 - 250 yards with the
recordable items spaced about 100 yards apart.

I was thinking about suspending large helium filled Mylar balloons from
4 lbs test fishing line and submerging them at the 1-4 points (with a
way to recover then at the end of the race). The returning sub would
have to report what the balloons were  (i.e ."happy birthday"; "It's a
girl"; "Garfield", etc).The race would be timed with penalty time added
for missing an object. No turning around allowed.
The second sub could leave once the first one cleared the gate on the
return leg of the race.
I remain open to suggestion.

In regards to the schedule and rules, Ray has done a fine job outlining
the basics -

Depending on the number of subs participating, we maybe could run the
regatta (one sub at a time) for timed trials, while a second boat is in
another region diving - using Ray's timed method below.

That is my preliminary thoughts.

I will begin to set up with the appropriate parties where in the lake
would be best to conduct our games.

Who has been on this lake (just Ray?) We could use info as to where the
best place to meet and launch would be.

The link that Ray had for the lake is here again:
http://www.co.washington.or.us/deptmts/sup_serv/fac_mgt/parks/hagglake.h
tm#down

I'll begin contacting the appropriate authorities shortly.

Most Sincerely,

Greg Snyder