RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Hot-galvanize stainless steel ?

Carsten,

Some years ago I went diving in the wreck of a factory ship. It had been
down for many years, and was heavily corroded with lots of marine life
already attached. This was in Golfo Nuevo, off the coast of Patagonia, so
the conditions were probably more or less like the Baltic. Among all the
rusty machinery, I remember SS parts that shone in our lights like jewels...
no rust whatsoever, they looked new. On the other hand I once bought a cheap
SS dive knife which rusted visibly on the very first dive (1 hr??). The
drastic differences in the performance of SS presumably depend on the alloy.

As for the plastic material, I don't have material specs on hand here in the
office. But stuff like teflon is used for bearing surfaces in pillow blocks
and conveyors all the time. So long as it has a solid backing, I think you
won't have any problems there.

rgds,

- Alec