Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Mechanical penetrators

Just use the same as a hydraulic cylinder does for a shaft seal.  They use pressures in
the 2000 to 3500 p.s.i. range all the time.  For a shaft seal that only turns valves
you can just use standard buna O-rings.  Make a sleeve that your shaft fits through
with about two or three thousants internal clearance.  Within the sleeve, cut two
internal O-ring grooves.  You really only need one, but to have the double protection
need in a sub, install two O-rings in each penetrate sleeve.  For a fast rotating
shaft, you might want to consider a ceramic and carbon spring loaded face seal.  There
not cheep but they work well.  You'll find them commonly used in fast rotating pumps.

Hope this helps,  Dan H.