Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Attached files?

Actually, Ray/Steve/others, even 40K attachments are a pretty generous rule.
I'm on several lists that ban attachments outright, for the reasons you state
and because they take so long to pull in on a slow connection when only some of
the list members will be interested in any given attachment.  Better, they say,
to send then privately as-requested or to post them up someplace where the
interested can look at them.

I'm not requesting a change, 40K seems to work ok so why mess with what works?
But there's no reason IMHO to raise the limit as there are alternatives with
most of the gain and little of the pain.

-L

--- Ray Keefer <Ray.Keefer@Sun.COM> wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> You can attach files. The only problem is that the total size of the email,
> including any attachements, has to be under 40kB.
>
> This limit was set as a precaution for our ISP. If someone sent
> a 2MB file to personal_submersibles@psubs.org it would be replicated
> over 200 times as it got forwarded to every listserver member.
> Very easy for a spammer to shut down the PSUBS server.
>
> Some ways around this is you can send it to me (ray@psubs.org).
> Then I'll put up on the web site. Except for this month I am not updating
> the web site.
>
> Another option is to state what you have and interested parties contact you
> personally. Then you can email it directly to them.
>
> Regards,
> Ray
>

> > From: "Steven Mills" <barycenter@earthlink.net>
> > To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
> > Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Attached files?
> > Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 15:48:24 -0800
> >
> > I'm not clear on the policy for attaching files. I didn't
> > check  on archives, so I'm asking here for
> > the sake of expediency. Should I give a warning shot
> > across the bow before sending anything, respond with
> > attachment only to the specific list-member, or send it for all
> > to receive?
> >
> > --Steve

=====
"All in the world know the beauty of the beautiful, and in
 doing this they have what ugliness is; they all know the
 skill of the skilful, and in doing this they have what the
 want of skill is."
             - Tao Te Ching verse 2 (Legge translation)
=====