Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] AquaSub

--- Steven Mills <barycenter@earthlink.net> wrote:
> There are sport-auto kits on the market. It seems that with some
> ingenuity and modifications to shape and materials that one could
> transform one of these car kits into a pSub. Also, I've bought full-sized
> plans of surface boats; a kayak, canoe, and a shallow draft sloop.
> The kayak and canoe designs seem to have possibilities for conversion
> to pSubs, wet or possibly dry. I'm looking into Boston Whalers, too,
> for study and consideration.

Steve,

Boston Whalers are prized by surface-folk for (among other features) their
built-in buoyancy.  They are said to be unsinkable, because they have so much
lightweight, water-excluding foam throughout the hull.

They are fine surface boats - but perhaps not quite ideal for intentional
submersion?

However, I would love to see what you come up with.  If you're looking onto
shallow-draft sailing craft with the potential for psub conversion, I'd suggest
looking at sharpies.  These are long, narrow, low-slung sailboats: in overall
dimensions close to psubs.  Lots of differences, most importantly in the
structure.  Power sharpies are common too, might be closer, but still very
different.

-Lew

=====
"All in the world know the beauty of the beautiful, and in
 doing this they have what ugliness is; they all know the
 skill of the skilful, and in doing this they have what the
 want of skill is."
             - Tao Te Ching verse 2 (Legge translation)
=====