RE: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] First post -Acrylic Canopy design forming

Yes Raoul ~
I have a set of the Kent Markham one man semi-dry sub plans I bought from Popular Mechanics Magazine back in 1968 (but haven't built it - yet :) A couple years later, he came out with a larger two man unit.

The sub looks a little like a delta wing jet plane and uses two electric trolling motors for propulsion. The nose and sides are made from fiberglass resin and cloth and the canopy is acrylic that is inflated after heating to give it the proper shape. I never built it because I could never figure out an easy way to transport, launch and recover it.

The driver sits on the battery box about waist/chest deep in water. The steering yoke controls two rudders mounted on the "wings" at the stern. Pushing or pulling the yoke controls the angle of the motors to vector their thrust up down or for level "flight".

A pipe bent at a 90 degree angle and mounted to the bulkhead on the driver's right side is swiveled (raised or lowered) to allow more or less water inside the compartment for depth control.

A scuba tank and regulator provides air to blow the compartment and refresh the atmosphere for the operator.

I'm not sure if the plans are still available from the magazine or Markham and I'm not sure if the copyright is still in effect so I don't know if I can legally copy them.

See more info about the Markham submarine - including his mailing address - on this site at:

http://www.psubs.org/mlist/archive/9702/msg00010.html

If you do a search on the PSubs website archive on the word "Markham" you will see a photo of the Markham "Wing" from the magazine story plus a photo of the two man version.

Best regards,
Tim Smalley
Apple Valley, MN