Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] magazine article

--- Coalbunny <coalbunny@onewest.net> wrote:
> I vaguely recall what he's alking about.  There was a seaplane the Japs
> had, and they could break it down and carry it on a sub.  They were the
> only (to the best of my knowledge) military force to have ever made a
> strike against the American mainland.

Only ones to make an airstrike, perhaps, unless you count September 11.

Non-airstrikewise, and aside from pre-independence stuff, the Revolution, and
the Civil War (all arguably "special cases") the Brits burned Washington and
shelled Baltimore in 1812, and did other nasties elsewhere.  Also, entirely
on-topic, U-Boats in WWII sank coastal shipping and probably took the odd
pot-shot against coastal (land) targets - others here will know more.  There
are probably other examples, but I can't think of any.

> The plane went in to southern
> Oregon (I think) and dropped a few 20 or 50 pound incendiary bombs in
> the forest.  It then returned to the sub and left.  And so on and so
> on.  I did a report on it back in Jr. High.  Good report, but didn't get
> a good grade.  Some how people, even now, think (ot thought) that I was
> full of BS when I tell of the Japs attacking the mainland.  Some people
> don't even know that the Japs help a couple of small bases in the
> Alutians during the early years of the war....
> Carl
>

> "Michael B. Holt" wrote:
> >
> > > Samuel Eisenberg wrote:
> > >
> > > http://www.skyhawk.org/aus_sub.htm
> >
> > Not even *I* would want to try that.  I gotta talk with
> > someone who was there ...
> >
> > > Not Convair (I remember that Convair had some delta winged
> > > plane that had water-ski things and could take off from the
> > > water. There's one outside the aerospace museum in San Diego.
> > > Anyone know more?), but the same idea. Air & Space had an
> > > article on the Japanese folding airplane that launched from a
> > > sub in WWII a couple of issues ago.
> >
> > Convair built a handful of screwball delta-wing jets
> > in the early 50s.  The seaplane was the F-7 Sea Dart.
> > It worked, sort of.  I have a book that has a chapter
> > on it.
> >
> > Is that Air & Space article on line anywhere?  I'd
> > like to know more about little Japanse planes.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Mike
>
> --
> "The plain meaning of the right of the people to keep arms is that it is
> an individual, rather than a collective, right and is not limited to
> keeping arms while engaged in active military service or as a member of
> a select militia such as the National Guard." - U.S. vs. Emerson, 5th
> Circuit Federal Court- published October 16, 2001

=====
"I made this letter longer than usual because I lack the time to make it shorter."
             - Pascal, Provincial Letters XVI
=====