Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] New means having alot to learn.

In a message dated 12/8/01 9:39:05 AM Eastern Standard Time, coalbunny@onewest.net writes:

Man, I think I'm the one getting confused here.  Ok, I must confess to
some ignorance of this subject.  I always figured a dry sub is a dry
sub.  Now I'm hearing about ambient subs and ATM subs.  Where am I
missing this difference?

I apologize for confusing you...  I mistook the term  ambient "pressure vessel" to mean "pressure hull", when the correct interpretation would be "ambient pressure" sub.  Mea culpa.

An ambient pressure sub means the occupant is subjected to ambient (surrounding) water pressure.  As depth increases, pressure on the occupant increases.  These subs can be either wet (occupant immersed),  semi-dry (cabin partially flooded) or dry (air filled cabin).

In a 1atm sub, the cabin pressure does not vary with depth and remains at surface pressure, and the hull is designed to withstand pressure up to its design depth..  As fas as I know, all 1 atm subs are dry.

I think you knew all that before I created the confusion.  Sorry.

Stan Freihofer
2 man Ambient Dry
Ft. Lauderdale