From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of SFreihof@aol.com
Sent: December 7, 2001 2:56 AM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] New to PSUBS

In a message dated 12/6/01 3:15:22 PM Eastern Standard Time, phil.willis@wanadoo.fr writes:

the design would have to be a dry ambient pressure vessel

This seems contradictory, unless I misunderstand.  A pressure vessel would be a 1 ATM sub.  All of these are dry.  A dry ambient sub is not a pressure vessel.

Ambient subs can be wet, semi-dry, or dry.  Ambient means the occupant is always at ambient (surrounding) water pressure... which increases with depth... like a scuba diver is.  All scuba limitations apply.

The 1 ATM subs are all dry, and cabin pressure remains at (or near) surface pressure of 14.7 psi (One Atmosphere) regardless of depth.  I think this is the design you're interested in.

In any case, you're in the right place for advice.

Stan Freihofer
2 man Ambient Dry
Ft. Lauderdale