Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: AIP [air independant propulsion]

Hey All,
I keep reading the whole thermite thing, over and
over. I could not imagine igniting a large enough
quantity of this material to provide propulsion power,
INSIDE a submerged vessel, that I am inside of.
Thermite is a VERY effective weapon. Exactly because
it can melt thought almost every know metal, and is
IMPOSSIBLE to put out.
For anyone considering this idea, be aware that
thermite has the same mechanical effect as a runaway
nuclear reactor. It is uncontrollable, releases toxic
gases, takes up massive amounts of O2, releases large
amounts of free H2 in the presence of water,and is
horribly destructive. One is spared only the
radio-isotopes. Otherwise, it is Chernoble, inside
your sub. Personally, I can only belive such an idea
would suck, at best.
Just my thoughts, for what they are worth.

Dewey