[PSUBS-MAILIST] Registration (was: An "objection" to psubs)

Jack Skoda wrote:

> If there's no law against, there must be a tax on it and along those lines,
> has anyone "registered" a pSub?  In Vermont all motorized watercraft have to
> be registered with the state department of motor vehicles.  Does anyone have
> any DMV stories?  How do you come up with a 'market value?'

I called Virginia's Department of Game and Inland Fisheries, which
handles boat registrations.  Boat are registered here if they are
over 16 feet or powered.  They told me that there was no special
category for submarines.  The clerk did seem to recall about 20
subs currently or recently, but there was no way for either of
us to find the registrations without going through the entire
data base (which was printed out on that green-stripe paper).

I'd be very, very careful about what I put in the blank called
"market value."  Remember that Admiralty law -- does that apply
on lakes? -- limits the value of a lawsuit to the value of the
boat.

Mike