Re: Fw: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: Blowing ballast (was: question about general design?)

CSSX will get 3 drop weights made from steel plates
about 80 mm (3,2inch) thick and each 1,3 t heavy. Structure
and price reasons for steel here.
The internal fix ballast will be also made from steel bars
(and not lead) for price and health reasons.
Sgt.Peppers keel has a mixture of steel and lead bars and plates.
lead was only use at the bow end for trimming porpose.

Mercury in old scuba bottles is nice choise.
My suba bottle (10 Liters) filled with mercury will be
two times my own weight.. Mercury has a 1,2 point greater
density than lead or 1.7 to steel. But is really expensive..
Two old scuba air bottles, one in the bow and one in the stern
a pipe and a pump - ready is a very compact trimming system.
And in emergency as last hope you can drop the mercury by only
opening a valve.