Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Center of gravity Vs. Center of Bouyancy

The Navy took the problem seriously enough that, except in emergencies, we
didn't surface or submerge during heavy weather. This resulted in lots of cold
wet nights on watch off of the Virginia Capes, taking waves over the low
bridge of our stepped sail. When the weather got heavy enough, we ended up
standing watch on the periscopes, with the Conning tower upper hatch closed.
Submerging would have been nice, but since we didn't have the power or air
to get out from under the storm we rode the whole thing on the suface. Nukes,
of course, don't have that problem and mostly stay submerged. On the Polaris
boats we only surfaced and submerged once per 60 day patrol.

Greg
STS3 (SS) N0WEK
www.usstorsk.org