Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] question about general design?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Carsten Standfuß" <MerlinSub@t-online.de>
To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Sunday, August 12, 2001 10:20 AM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] question about general design?

" Each pipe has to be go inside the hull with a security vale,"

Here's a good point I haven't seen mentioned here before.  I've heard it
said that ABS certification requires every pipe that penetrates the pressure
hull to have a security valve on the inside, which you can close to stop the
flow of water if that pipe breaks.  To my understanding, this security valve
is in addition to whatever valve is used by the system, and is required as a
safety feature aboard certified vessels.

Lately we've been talking about how non-certified boats don't need to meet
ABS certification requirements; but I think that, whenever possible, the
security valve is a good thing to include in a submarine, whether it is
going to be certified or not.  Added safety is always good.

Pat