Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Center of gravity Vs. Center of Bouyancy

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ed Greany" <crest25@attglobal.net>
To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Saturday, August 11, 2001 4:23 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Center of gravity Vs. Center of Bouyancy

> Adam,
> Center of gravity is the centerline midpoint at which the trim fore and
> aft is balanced if you were to suspend it from a cable in the air at
> that point. It is like a balanced scale = both ends level.

Hi Adam,

Ed's is a good description. He's right.

Center of Buoyancy can be described as that point along the longitudinal
centerline where the average buoyant force is exerted on a vertical upwards
vector.

Center of Weight is like where the sub and occupants would balance (like a
teeter-totter) if you had it out of the water, sitting on a fulcrum.

Average Center of Buoyancy and Center of Weight to determine Hydrostatic
Center of Gravity.

Go to my NAUTILUS MINISUB page in the picture gallery, and click on the link
to my SUB DESIGN MATH page on Ping's website.  It's a basic process for
calculating submarine Weight and Balance I came up with in the 80's.  Not
rocket science; more like "sub design for the rest of us".  But it worked
well enough to bring an ornate design like the NAUTILUS in pretty much right
on the money.  SDM ought to give you the basic ability to do what you're
trying to do at this stage of the game.

Now, I really gotta get away from this computer for a while!  ;-)

Pat