Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] question about general design?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lew Clayman" <lew_clayman@yahoo.com>
To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2001 10:21 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] question about general design?

> "Apparently, it goes all the way back to the Hunley... which cuts both
ways, but still...."

>From what I've read, the dropweight release on the HUNLEY was of a threaded
design, which may have failed when pressures on the weight exerted binding
forces on the release bolts, preventing the crewmembers from being able to
turn them.  A less-closely toleranced lug-in-slot arrangement (of the type I
described) might have been less prone to such failures.

Pat