Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Rolling on (was: sub)

--- "Michael B. Holt" <mholt@richmond.edu> wrote:

> One idea that came to mind was Cousteau's Diving Saucer.
> The patent for it states that the gimmick is that the
> diameter of the disk is equal to 1.414 (the square root
> of 2) times the vertical dimension thickness of the
> pressure hull.  Point is, dish the sides outwards,
> put windows all around the perimeter, and have at
> it.
>
> Anything to add?

Not at all clear on why that gimmick is special, what is the magic
in that ratio.  Can you explain, please?

Could the whole thing be made smaller if you sit inside, rather than stand?  Maybe have a seat
mounted on the axis of the "hub".  Thinking as I type here, might even be workable with no seat at
all, you crawl/sit/scoot.  Anyway dry-land mockups would prove/disprove the concept in a hurry.

-L

=====
"Yo no soy marinero / Soy capitan"
          - Traditional Mexican Lyric (La Bamba)