From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org
[mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org]On Behalf Of Stan Muller
Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2001 8:02 PM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] New comer w/ROV Question

Jonathan, Pat, and anyone else interested;
   When I was fooling around with my ROV design, one of my major
problems that I encountered was to achieve a  pressure tight fitting on
the motor shafts. When the packing was tight enough to seal, it put too
much drag on the little motors.
   I overcame the problem by mounting a magnet on the motor shaft, then
a solid copper end cap and a free spinning propeller mounted on a solid
axle with a magnet on the prop. It worked, I had a free turning prop,
and no through shaft to seal.
   After feeling proud of myself for my original design, I found out
that pumps have been built like this for years.
For what it's worth, Stan in Mo.