Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Pressure hull calculations

Phil and Alec
        Thanks for taking the time to do the calculations, at least now, I
know that I can proceed without to much risk. I do have information that the
German Biber's hull was made of 3 mm sheet steel and gave a safe diving depth
of 60 ft. although some Biber's went to over 100 ft. on operations. Four
internal bulkheads and three longitudinal ribs reinforced the hull plating.
the Japanese Ko-Hoyoteki Midget submarine was a single-hull sub. The pressure
hull was all-welded, of 8 mm cold rolled steel plates of MS44 grade. 2.6 mm
steel was used in non pressure-bearing area's to save on weight. The
Ko-Hyoteki had a collapse depth of 200 m and a safe diving depth of 100 m.
These parameters gave a safety coefficient 1.4 times greater than that of
other Japanese submarines. This information was obtained from "Midget
Submarines Of The Second World War" written by Paul Kemp.

                        Thanks again Bill G.