Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Gasses from batteries

Title: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Gasses from batteries
At 20:56 -0400 05/23/01, Subscuba@aol.com wrote:
David,

For what it's worth:

During overcharge the electrolyte composed of a dilute solution of sulfuric
acid decomposes this electrolyte and gives off Oxygen at one plate and
Hydrogen at the other plate. The escaping gases also carry off small traces
of the sulfuric acid which is mostly what you smell.

The bad thing for a sub is that these gases Hydrogen and Oxygen form an
explosive mixture which when ignited go boom or in the case of the Shuttle
give propulsion. ......

This would also be a bad thing in my house too, by the way. Which is why I've (finally) enclosed the batteries in a compartment in the corner under my workbench, and vented it to the outside with a 2" stack running up the outside of the house. For good measure, I added a small fan to the front which blows into the compartment, which I turn on when charging them at a high amperage with the generator, or on a very sunny day.