Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Need advice, new builder.

Hi,

We have early UEM development pictures at:

http://www.psubs.org/pic/kittredge_photos.html

At the time it was in the yard of a boat builder/weld shop. George latter
added a mast and sail for surface propulsion.

His UEM was built from a K-250 (250 feet crush depth) hull he had.

Regards,
Ray

> From: VBra676539@aol.com
> Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 08:34:09 EDT
> Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Need advice, new builder.
> To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
>
> Stan,
>
> For efficiency, I would give serious consideration to George Kittredge's UEM
type propulsion. He is running a bicycle drive inside the sub, driving the main
prop. And speaking of props, he has done a whale of a lot of research and
experimentation on how to convert the approximately 0.5 hp available from human
haunches to forward motion. He has a pretty tricky looking thing built now,
waiting on the weather to launch and test, but says it should work well. Big,
slow turning wheel. I don't know how he'd feel about selling PART of a UEM plan,
but it might be worth asking.

> As to using the hydraulic pump to motor, I'd be looking at the losses on that.
Maybe build one in the shop and try it out in the pool.