Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Need advice, new builder.

Hi Stan,

you wrote your main cylinder is 24 x 75" ( 610 x 1905 mm)
and your tower cylinder has a diameter of 21" ( 533 mm).
If you want to sit upright - the tower should be at least 400 mm higher
at the top than the main cylinder. This indicates a volume
of 557 Liter plus 89 for the tower and some more for the ouside
displacements like thruster, engines , lamps, keelweights, manipulator
etc.

All together about 700-750 Liter equal to a displacement of 0,7 -0,75 t.

There is no rule how much freeboard or reserve bouancy a midget
sub should have - but a G.E.G - Rule (general estimate golden rule)
says that the reservebouancy should be between 10 -30 % of the ships
displacement for subs which want to travel also on the surface
- especially with open hatch...

Smaller boats and boats which needs more seaworthness should have the
greater number, bigger boats and lake boats could have more in direction
the smaller number.

Sgt.Peppers ration is about 500 Liter to 90 Liter =  18 % reserve
bouancy.
Sgt.Peppers is pretty stable in all directions with me standing upright
on the pressure hull short before climbing in.

CSSX ratio is about 57 t to 10 t = 17 % reserve bouancy.

Your figure is : 700 liter to 45 Liter = 6,4 %. Thats is very low.
If you sit inside and a beautiful girl sitting for pictures on the
hull - the sub started to dive.. You should maybe double the
soft tank volume .. Your 16 inch (400 mm)high tower alone has
about 80-90 liter volume - and will come out of the water just half
way..
(The pressure part volume of the sub which comes out of the water is
equal
to the volume part of your tanks which stays under the waterline.)

You have 12 x 3,8 = 45 Liter = V = displacement over the waterline
You tower diameter is 21 inch or 0,533 m = D
and with H = high of the tower comes out the water

V = ( D x D x 0,785)  x H  or
H = V / ( D x D x 0,785 )
  = 0,045 / 0,533 x 0533 x 0,785
  = 0,2 m or 200 mm or 7,9 inch freeboard.

You freeboard should at least so great that the complete tower
comes out the water (about 16 inch) - and for a better surface
stability the main pressure hull in the hole longitudinal direction
 - to create a waterline ..

The aluminium/epoxy combination is exotic - but why not..

Good look with the "Tauchende Ente" ,
regards Carsten