Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] AC motors

There were lots of AC motors around on the initial deep submergence vehicles (Deep Quest, DOWB, and others) and they were favored as Dan says because you didn't have to sweat brushes and they were easy to compensate. Brushes get to be a problem under DEEP pressures--they weld up. For our uses, aside from the fun of it, I'm not sure if there is justification to be had for AC systems. Low voltage DC lowers the shock hazards, for one thing.

As a point of interest, Comex used AC propulsion on the Moana subs and others. Don't know why. French, don'cha know.

Vance

PS. Are my messages coming out wide screen to everyone?