RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] RE: PSUB power problems solved

Got a postcard from this outfit.  Check it out at www.fuellesspower.com .
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org
[mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org]On Behalf Of Alec Smyth
Sent: Tuesday, March 06, 2001 9:57 AM
To: 'personal_submersibles@psubs.org'
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] RE: airfoils

Yep, I remember being amazed at the handling of the towable contraption too.
I had expected some sort of slight inertia to affect maneuvers. Instead, if
you pointed up or down you were instantly on a new trajectory without any
discernible "slip" whatsoever. No matter how slow you were going, it felt as
if the airfoils were carving through a solid rather than through liquid.

Vance, I realize this thing was a pathetically lightweight little toy, even
compared to a PSUB. But the construction was a piece of cake. I just cut a
sheet of aluminum for the skin and bent it over the shaft by hand -- it came
out really even. Hey, the two airfoils even looked alike. Then I pop riveted
the trailing edges together, and put some more rivets into the shaft to keep
the airfoil in position. Sure, the rivets don't make for a super-clean
surface and it wasn't any standard NACA profile, but it worked great anyway.
This construction left the whole thing open at the ends, which wasn't really
a problem either.

I think I've seen on Carsten's pictures that he intends filling his planes
with oil, which sounds much more elegant.

-Alec