Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] USS X-1 Facts

-----Original Message-----
From: Carl Kem <dustyut@lasal.net>
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Date: Saturday, March 03, 2001 8:29 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] USS X-1 Facts

>Thanks Dave!  I find it quite interesting that both the US and the brits
>couldn't get H2O2 to work, yet the Nazis had no problem during WW2.

They no doubt had their problems too.  The successes--I suspect though--were
more likely talked about rather than the failures.  The experience the
British and the U.S had with H2O2 was for the most part during peacetime
when the sacrifice of safety and lives was much more costly.  And I think
H2O2 was finally shelved after nuclear energy was found to be the fuel of
choice for wealthy nations.

>While I am not a nazi sympathizer, I think this is a very important
>issue to look at.

I don't think you have to be "a nazi sympathizer" to admire the technical
acheivements made while the nazis where in control of Germany.  I've said it
before.  If you look at the weapons of the world today, most if not all are
in someway based on technology developed by the Germans just prior to, and
during WW2.

>Why was the program such a success while in their
>hands?  Is it the technology used?  Is it the techniques used?  Or is it
>the interpersonal workplace relations?
>Carl

Drastic times call for drastic measures that include all three areas you
suggest.
With the nazis gaining control of Germany, the entire populace was mobilized
for one purpose only.  To gain worldwide domination at all costs.  It was a
struggle that brought out the best and--unfortunatly--the worst in
everybody.  The best obviously came from the design engineers.  The worst
from the political types.
So I think it is important to separate science and politics.

TTYL,
BigDave