Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Cold Fission

  A few years ago (sometime after 1996) I remember reading an article about
an apparatus that worked like a solar cell, using radiation instead of
light.  The idea being a battery that never had to be recharged and had no
moving parts.  The article also mentioned that the same radioactive
substance used in smoke alarms could be used to power such a "solar cell"
safely.
  Batteries like these have been used on deep space probes before, but
no-one likes the idea of strapping radioactive batteries to the top of a
rocket and launching them all around the planet (there is always the threat
of a giant explosion and lots of radioactive debris blowing through the
atmosphere) .  A submarine would be an ideal vehicle for radioactive
systems, you could use the water as radiation shielding.  When needing to
repair or remove the power system, you could transfer the battery pod to a
shielded container underwater (with the aid of a "ten foot pole") ,this way,
the radiation shielding stays on shore, leaving your sub to carry less mass.
  The battery pod could be suspended several feet from the sub and encircled
in a cage.  The cage allows the water used as shielding to slip past the sub
when moving (you don't have to take your shielding with you) .  If "Murphy"
can't swim then we shouldn't need shielding, as all the energy will be
absorbed by the "solar cells" (assuming 100% efficiency) .  In case the
"solar cell" pod is cracked/damaged, then the cage would stop anything
coming in too close to the radiation and allow the water to act as
shielding.
  I would love to have an everlasting battery on my sub, but of the systems
I am familiar with, too much radioactive material is required.  I personally
just don't want the can I spend all my free time in to be glowing.  However,
I would consider a small version used for recharging the batteries or
whatever.  I like the idea, and I think it could be done safely, I just
don't trust myself around large amounts of radiation.

  If you want details about these "solar cells" I'm afraid i've looked and
looked and cannot find the article.  The best bet would be to check into the
batteries for the Voyager space probes.  They use more exotic isotopes but
the theory is the same, I think.  Any flames can be sent to me off-list,
these are my own opinions/dreams and I have no facts with which to retort.

  By the way, as this is my first posting, I'm 22 years old living in
Jackson Tennessee (USA).  I have a Yamaha V-star 650 (a touring style
motorcycle) .  My true love is space, and the systems of a 1-atmosphere sub
are the perfect place to learn about self-sustained life support systems and
design.  I have yet to build my first sub, but it will be no show-stopper
when it comes.  My goal on this list is to hear new ideas.

                Shin