Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Newbie

----- Original Message -----
From: Stuart
To: Personal_Submersibles@psubs.org
Sent: Saturday, December 02, 2000 1:05 AM
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Newbie

I am a Newbie to this sub stuff so bear with me. My friends and I were thinking of building a sub to go 20ft or so. We thought of making it out of one of those galvanized drainage pipes 4ft tall and 10ft long. If someone could tell me if this would work I would appreciate it and how I could seal stuff and ideas on how to sink it. If I am going to kill myself I want to know.

Hi Stuart!  Welcome to WATERWORLD!   ;-)

The first thing about your plan that rings an alarm bell in my puny little metal-melting mind is the word GALVANIZED.  Braddah, this is bad stuff to be torch-cutting and/or welding on!  It gives off POISONOUS fumes, and also puts cruddy deposits into the puddle.  Every textbook and experienced welder I know of will tell you DON'T DO IT.

Now, I'm one of those guys who sometimes just can't seem to go along with the program.  I've torched and welded small galvanized pieces many times in my life; always in open-air ventilation, and with extra measures taken (fans, fresh-air mask) to keep from breathing the stuff.  But it produces a less-than-perfect weld, and still aint recommended for reasons of operator safety.

In your case, it sounds like you're talking about making the majority of your P-hull out of galvanized; that's going to involve a lot of welding inside and outside the tube: plenty of chances to get gassed; and ask yourself if you want less than the cleanest welds you can get for your P-hull.

At PSUBS, we've all discussed using available items as the basis for pressure hulls; sometimes it can be done; but I think you'll find the general overview in the archives concluded that one is going to spend a lot of money on a submarine whether he starts with a salvaged item or not; and therefore, it might make sense to go the whole nine yards, spend a couple more bucks, and have your hull-blank formed by a metal fabrication shop, because it won't cost all that much more in the long run, and you'll have the peace of mind of knowing what your boat is based on.

I'm not saying you can't turn a salvaged piece into a pressure hull; nor am I saying don't do that; but I am going to recommend that you don't start with something that's galvanized.

Hope this helps.

Very best regards,

Pat