Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] trolling motors?

Herve,

Most of the permanent magnet motors require a controller (current limit) to
prevent peak armature currents from demagnetizing the stator magnets. I can
expand on this if you like but if you take a look in the PSUBS archives
there's more information there. If they don't answer your questions, I can
elaborate. Once you design and build a current limit, it's easy to make it a
speed control. I wonder, if you are not using any controller on the MK motor
you said failed, perhaps the stator was demagnetized? I think you stated a
speed control was not really needed on these subs and I agree, but for this
type of motor you do need a current limit.

From what you have stated on your previous messages and messages from others,
apparently the MG has some of the electronics in the motor housing. Perhaps
the Dura amp modules contain the power switches which require heat sinking. I
believe that's why 5 wires are required, maybe. The four wires used in the MK
are simply the two armature leads. Two red leads are used for the positive
lead and two black for the negative armature leads. A review of your last
message seems to imply you don't use any kind of current limit or speed
control. Do you just switch 24 or 36 volts to the motor?

In any case, I'm not too familiar with the Motor Guide motors in that much
detail. I just don't like putting any electronics in the motor housing and
that's just a personal preference.

I wish MK made a three blade prop, but I have not been able to identify one.

From your address it looks like you operate subs in the Caribbean. Can you
elaborate on that? I do a lot of diving in that area.

Have fun,

Ken Martindale

In a message dated 11/26/00 2:58:50 PM Eastern Standard Time,