Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] re-wiring trolling motors?

This subject is a lot more interesting than Busby as long as we don't get
into flame wars on whether MK or MG motors are better.

I would prefer the MK motors without the motor controller built into the
motor as the Motor Guide is reputed to do. I'm sure the cost of the motor and
controller built as one unit is more expensive than separate units from a
replacement viewpoint. Since I did my own controller, this made the most
sense from a $ viewpoint. It would seem to me that having the controller
built into the motor would offer much better cooling for the electronics but
at the same time would expose the controller electronics to motor flooding.
Better cooling of the electronics should equate for improved reliability for
the MG electronics but at increased replacement cost and potentially lower
reliability for flooding problems, even if they pot the electronics. I only
paid $169 for my 70# thrust MK motor. So the MK electronics have less cooling
but are separate units. Replacement of only the motor or controller makes
sense to me.

Problems due to flooding or high moisture usually takes a long time to show
up.

I do think that except for the placement of the controller and secondary
considerations the two vendors are nearly equivalent. It's like discussing
which is better, a Chevy or a Ford Pickup. They have to be able to do the
same things, reliably and at nearly the same cost.

For reasons of stator demagnetization, most PM motors operating from 24 volts
and up probably require controllers.

On the increase in speed for a 107 pound thrust versus a 101 pound thrust.
Based on speed as a function of the cube root of horsepower (close enough at
these speeds) the 107 pound thrust motor should give a higher speed by about
1.9%. At a speed of about 5 knots this would increase the sub's speed by less
than 0.09 knots, big difference.

Ken Martindale

In a message dated 11/26/00 10:08:45 AM Eastern Standard Time,