From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org
[mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org]On Behalf Of D. Blake
Sent: Saturday, November 18, 2000 10:41 PM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Busby permission

Psubs discussion group members:
As usual Phil raises his head and rewards us with his expert knowledge of
copyright law including more than a little name-dropping where the prospect
of money is of prime concern.
C'mon Phil, Andy and his sister?  Why the overwhelming concern with the
Busby family's welfare?  Are they in so desperate a situation that they
require your personal intervention on their behalf?  Maybe we should start a
contribution drive to help them out.  You know, help them to pay bills/ make
ends meet.  I'll contibute $25.00.  I make about $25k a year.  What will
your contribution be at that rate Phil?  Oh wait, you have already made your
contribution by offering yourself as their mouthpiece.  Maybe you should
acquire the rights with their permission of course.  That way you can
distribute the funds as you see fit.
Well, it gets pretty complicated pretty quick.  You are a take charge type
of person though.  Best we let you handle the particulars.
Seriously, there are at least two possibilities here that I can come up
with.
1)  The name "Frank Busby" and the book "Manned Submersibles" continues to
fade into obscurity over time, because the book is out of print, or else a
"reprint" is made and very few will be convinced enough of it's importance
to buy a copy.
2)  The man and the book gain a portion of immortality because the book is
freely distributed.  Lots of people; having read the book, are bittin by the
psub bug including the all important youngsters who spend a great deal of
time dreaming.

Best regards,
Big Dave