Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] "Diving blind"

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Buchner" <buchner@wcta.net>
To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 15, 2000 2:33 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] "Diving blind"

Hi David of Osage!

>" (You are a silly man, Pat.)"

Yeah, I know.   ;-)

" Are there like, lots of tourist subs operating in Hawaii? The assistant
manager where I work was telling me about one his family rode in when they
were there, that was basically a long tube with a bench down one side and a
row of portholes down the other for the people on the bench to look out
through. He didn't remember much else about it, but I was curious to try and
find a picture of it."

There's a few.  ATLANTIS SUBMARINES INTERNATIONAL, INC. operates off Oahu,
Maui, and "Da Beeg Island", that I am aware of.  Maybe elsewhere.  Really
beautiful subs.  The ATLANTIS VII at Kailua-Kona is the boat we recently had
all to ourselves during a video shoot for HOMEBUILT SUBMARINES (I wrote a
post about this a while back).  Off the top of my head, that one is about 60
feet long, displaces 80 tons, and carries 48 passengers; bench seats down
the center; large viewports along both sides and a big dome for the pilot up
front.  A boat like this is probably the one your A/Mgr. mentioned.

ATLANTIS is a very prolific company; they operate in a LOT of resort sites
around the World.  Been around since the early 80's.  There's quite a bit of
information on their website at:

http://www.goatlantis.com

There's another company over here, too: a "semi-sub" called NAUTILUS.  It
looks like a submarine might have some variable ballast capabilities,  but
doesn't completely submerge.  Really more of a glass-bottom boat, actually;
takes people on sight-seeing tours of the reefs in shallow water.  There's
at least one of them in Kona; maybe elsewhere.  Other than knowing they
exist, I haven't taken the time to learn more about them.

Well, I hope that helps.  Now, I have to go down into my silly little shop
and do some more of my silly work on my silly little submarine, before I go
to my silly "real job" tonight and earn my silly little paycheck; so I can
continue to work in my silly little shop on my silly submarine; silly,
silly, ad infinitum.

See ya!

"Silly Patty"