[PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: Interesting idea

TeslaTony@aol.com wrote:

> I was thinking about different things to do with subs (design/capabilities)
> and thought that if Graham Hawkes could make a sub fly underwater, then why
> couldn't the wings be enlarged a bit, add an airbreathing engine and set the
> wings so that they could flip over to switch from positive lift (air) to
> negative lift (for in the water).

Why have negative lift?  Let the vehicle be negatively buoyant, and
let the wings provide the lift to keep it from diving too deep.  This
idea dates from the early 60s, when the US Navy was talking about
building
a sub that would soar down for 8000 feet and then back up; the
plan at that time was to glide to Hawaii without fuel.  In about 1964,
the British Sub-Aqua Club published plans of a wet sub that diver
could ride, and soar underwater.

Want to fly?  There's been at least one flying submarine built (in
the early 60s).  It really worked; it had an airplane's N-number
and a boat registration.

Mike