Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] CSSX Update 10/2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Carsten Standfuß" <MerlinSub@t-online.de>
To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Sunday, October 29, 2000 7:59 PM
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] CSSX Update 10/2000

"Hi Submadmans, just a update...Air-pressure-test-device built today to test
the weldings for water- and pressure tightness....I purchase a new
profesional MIG/MAG welding-machine...I have now a overview how much - for
example - grinding plates I need the next 3 years....best regards, Carsten"

Hey!  ;-)

Carsten's post leads me to think of a new thread of possible value to those
contemplating building a sub: what equipment is necessary?

Obviously, there's a lot of things you'll need that you can buy: mechanical
tools, metal fabrication tools (torch, grinders, drill-press, vise,
arc-welder, et.), jacks and hoists, etc.  We could make a pretty thorough
list of them here.  We could also point out which tools are better than
others: for example: a simple "buzz-box" will work for a lot of welding
needs; but if you're going to build a pressure hull according to PVHO, I
believe a wire-feed welder is called for.  (I don't have a copy of PVHO here
at the moment; somebody correct me on that if I'm wrong.)

But there also seems to be things you need that aren't found at the local
tool supply.  Carsten makes mention of building a pressure testing device.
In the past I've had to build roller-mounts to facilitate welding; hull
pressure-testing setups; and lots more.  In  just the past week, I've had to
fabricate a specialized heavy-duty dolly-truck for carting hulls about; and
a roller-mount for the NAUTILUS, comprised of a 5-foot diameter annular
track that attaches to the sub and rolls over 8-inch steel casters: all
handmade from scratch, piece-by-piece and welded together, because there
just wasn't anything available commercially that would do the job I need to
do.

I'd bet some of the other sub builders out there have had similar equipment
needs that could only be solved through custom fabrication.  Care to share
your experiences, so the guys thinking about building a sub might have a
better idea of what they might need in their shops?

The next things I want are a heavy duty A-Frame and Chain Hoist; and in my
dreams, I could sure use a forklift!  (No kidding!  When you start moving
things around that are big, heavy, and need to be positioned for assembly to
other similarly cumbersome parts, a forklift is a great thing to have!
Maybe next year!)

I don't want to start a "dream list" here; but howsabout we get into talking
about what your basic home submarine shop is going to require in terms of
tools and equipment?

VBR,

Pat