Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] The REAL Captain Nemo...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan J. Rice" <dan.j.rice@sherwin.com>
To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Friday, October 20, 2000 5:19 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] The REAL Captain Nemo...

>" I just read a small book about the Turtle, made of oak and covered with
leather, powered by hand, and trying to deliver underwater time bombs (kegs
of gunpowder with a mechanical clock setting off a flint and steel igniter)
to British ships. Think about that and maybe you'll feel like you're out of
the cave at least."

Hi Brother Dan!

Point well taken.  HOMEBUILT SUBMARINES will recognize the fact that, while
successful subs have existed for going on 400 years now, the levels of
functionality and safety achieved thereby has always been directly relative
to the science and technologies employed in their design and construction.

"Maybe your video will have to come in 2 or 3 volumes now.  I know you'll
have a hard time not using parts of what Phil sent."

You may be right!  Some of what Phil sent me were TV shows featuring his
submarines; I'm sure he did that for my enlightenment and entertainment, and
I won't be using them for obvious copyright reasons.  But he also sent me
several hours of what appears to be his own personal footage,  and it's just
absolutely amazing.  Considering this volume of material; plus everything
else I've received (and am still receiving) from other folks; and including
the requisite segments on History, Development, Types, Design and
Construction, Operations,  Safety, and such; HOMEBUILT SUBMARINES could
easily become a multi-tape program.  I want to do it right.

BTW: congratulations on your recent successes, and my best to the family!

VBR,

Pat