Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] The Navy Speaks: Bubsy is Public Domain

In a message dated 10/5/00 7:36:48 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
SeaLordOne@aol.com writes:

> Shipmates,
>
>  I have contacted several staff members in the Office of the Oceanographer
of

>  the Navy, and they have all assured me that Busby's 1976 Manned
Submersibles

>  is Public Domain.  What this means is that anyone, anywere can make
> unlimited
>  copies, post the document on the internet, or even make copies to sell at
>  profit, (which has in fact been done with the blessing of the Navy).
Public

> [...]
> the
>  other side of the coin.  Public Domain documents that should be available
>
>  the taxpayers who funded their development, but which are unavailable
> because
>  the government libraries are underfunded.  The Oceanographer of the Navy
> gets
>  only 5-6 requests for Busby each year, which is simply not enough to
justify

>  keeping the book in print.  They wish they could keep every book in print.
>
>  I received an e-mail from the webmaster of the Office of the Oceanographer
> of
>  the Navy just tonight, asking if he could have permission to put the psubs
>  link on his website, on the FAQ page.  In other words, when any person
>  worldwide goes to the Office of the Oceanographer of the Navy and wants a
>  copy of Busby, they will be linked to PSUBS by the U.S. Navy.
>
>  Now I personally think that is way cool, but this is not my website...Ray
>  owns this website.  So you (Ray) need to let me know whether you want to
be
>  the Navy's official Busby site or not.  I am sure someone else will host
it
>  if you are not interested.  You will be under no obligation to the Navy,
but

>  will certainly get a lot of attention.  You need to decide whether you
want
>  lot of attention.
>
>  I have access to a pretty good scanner at work, so I will spend the next
>  month running all 764 pages of Busby through the scanner.  By then I am
sure

>  we will have someone who will be willing to host this for the
>  Navy...hopefully Ray.  Once this thing is on the web, everyone in the
psubs
>  community will have equal access to (IMHO) the only comprehensive PSUB
>  document ever written.
>
>  Just for the record, my primary contact was:
>
>  MS. Gail S. Cleere, Public Affairs
>  Oceanographer of the Navy
>  3450 Massachusettes Avenue, NW
>  Washington, DC 20392
>  (202) 762-1045, Fax 762-0480
>  Cleere.Gail@HQ.NAVY.MIL
>
>  Her last day is today.  She is replaced by Senior Chief Robert Freeman on
>  Tuesday.  I am in contact with him as well.  I have included this
> information
>  for the archives, not so the Navy will be flooded with questions from
>  individual PSUBBERS.  I ask that you please continue to allow me to be the
>  sole point of contact between PSUBS and the Navy on this issue, at least
for

>  now.  I believe it will avoid confusion.  Once the Busby book is linked
and
>  on-line, I will bow out and you can have at the Navy all you want.  Deal?
>
>  Ray, please let me know if you want to be on the Navy website.  I will
>  contact you on technical issues as they arise.

Thank you very much for doing the legwork for all of us in order to find out
whether or not this book was available.

And on a slightly less serious note: PARTYTIME!!!!!!!!!!!