Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] What error is acceptable in horsepower calculations?

On Fri, 08 Sep 2000 11:12:47 -0400, Michael B. Holt wrote:

>If you were designing a new sub and could calculate the resuired
>horsepower, what amount of error would you consider tolerable?
>Five percent?  Ten?
>

>Mike Holt

Actual error is a bit of a moot point.  Try end estimate the error in
your calculation, and account for it when you call out the thrusters.
Personally, I'd ballpark it and then spec for about 1.5 times that
number.  Too much power, and you're just wasting energy for no real
additional benefit.  Too little is a safety concern.

-Sean