Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Odd Idea

----- Original Message -----
From: <gregc02@ibm.net>
To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Saturday, August 19, 2000 4:03 AM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Odd Idea

> The thing with submarines is that you WANT to be able to lose
> your positive buoyancy to submerge and then refill your ballast
> tanks with air to regain your positive buoyancy to surface. Foam in
> small fishing boats is a good idea to prevent sinking the boat
> completely but with subs you WANT to be able to sink. (Hopefully
> temporarily)
>
> From:           "samdatl" <samdatl@avana.net>
> To:             <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
> Subject:        [PSUBS-MAILIST] Odd Idea
> Date sent:      Fri, 18 Aug 2000 06:39:50 -0400
> Send reply to:  personal_submersibles@psubs.org
>
> > Wonder if anyone has ever thought up a system that injects 2 part
maximum
> > expanding foam into compartments and ballast tanks. Seems to me it would
> > work weighs alot less than sea water. and would keep boats from gouing
> > down from too much weight. Just and idea any feedback welcome.
> >

> > Walker
> > Woodstock, Ga.
> > samdatl@avana.net

I think what Walker describes is meant as an emergency measure: to keep a
stricken sub from sinking, or raise it once sunk; am I right?  In that
context, I can see where it could have some value: but I wonder what
limiting effects depth pressure might have on the expansion capabilities of
the foam?

VBR,

Pat