Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST]Seals (was Pressure compensation)

In a message dated 8/15/00 4:38:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time, SFreihof@aol.com
writes:

<<
 Ken-

 How are you sealing your motor?  What depth have you had it to?  Any leakage
 problems?  Tell me more....

 Thanks

 Stan >>

Steve and Stan,

I am using the Minn Kota without any modifications to the motor or seals. I
use a small tank (30 Ft^3) with a Scuba regulator adjusted to give a slight
positive pressure under normal conditions. This means the seals have to
withstand about 1 to 2 psi positive which also implies if I get a leak air
will leak out not water in. Pat (Capt. Nemo) probably knows more about this
than me and I suspect more experience. The concept is simple as is the
implementation.

Depth of operation is primarily limited by other considerations, since if you
had enough air you could operate down to the Challenger deep off the
Marianas, which is fairly deep.

If you want more information give me your phone numbers and I'll call you.

Best wishes,

Ken Martindale

PS Pat, 4 horsepower (746 watts)? We went through this before, I would like a
4 HP motor.