Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Carbon Fiber

In a message dated 8/14/00 7:06:22 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
wacarson@interchange.ubc.ca writes:

> Tony,
>  You would still need to add enough weight to sink the argon would you not?
>  And would that weight not be equal to the weight of the water the second
>  hull was displacing?
>
>  Wade

I'm not 100% sure, but you probably are right, to a certain point.

All subs except a select few act more like blimps or hot air balloons by
changing their buoyancy to go up and down than they do airplanes, which use
wings to generate lift.

Now (check my reasoning here) if your sub displaced 1,000 pounds of water,
and your wings generated 1,000 pounds of "lift" you wouldn't need to add
extra weight in order for you to sink, unless you somehow make the sub
lighter.

Anthony