RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] motor seals

>I'm not exactly sure that I understand your idea but could you use ceramics
>rather than PVC?  It seems to me that ceramics would be much stronger and so
>you could probably make them thinner and keep the magnets closer together.

     Ceramic would work well.  Suppose you had a hemispherical dome where
inside there are two rare-earth magnets as close to the dome as possible
and attached to the shaft.  One the outside of the dome there are two
magnets attached to a stainless shaft in-turn attached to a propeller.  The
coupling would extend the effective length of the motor by several
inches.  Perhaps the trolling motor could be mounted inside the same
enclosure with the hemispherical ends.

                ___________________
              //
         XX// XX
        XX//XXX
------XX||XXX============== Shaft to
        XX\\XXX         || = Ceramic Hemisphere
         XX\\XX          XX = Magnets

                           -------  Shaft to Propeller
                           -------

I know this looks stupid but maybe it's a little more informative.

GB