Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Carbon Fiber

Tony,
Just a little on what I know about carbon fiber as I know of in association
with America's Cup yachts (now New Zealand's Cup twice ;-) )
I agree with the comments made about the inconsistent strengths of carbon
fiber lay ups but not saying it shouldn't be used for this reason. The
methods to achieve success are not simple and to be used successfully,
requires careful engineering and years of experience form how I understand
it.
One of the bigger historical problems with carbon fiber, is delamination
problems. A way to avoid this are to use epoxy resins and to do as much of a
continuous lay-up as possible, in one go so you get a chemical bond between
layers.
As I understand it, you would not need an autoclave but an oven to 'bake'
the hull as they do with the yachts.
Reworking carbon fiber is a huge problem. You can only cut it with metal
working tools like a grinder. It will very quickly blunt many metal working
tools. Also if it is a structural change, unlike steel (where a join can be
close to 100% of the parent metal although aluminum is about 60%) you will
have problems creating strong joint bonds, requiring considerable tapered
overlays, once again, with potential delamination problems.
Galvanic action in seawater is a big consideration as most metals will
sacrifice to it, aluminum literally fizzes away, I have seen and repaired
the results. Keels have dropped off yachts, due to this.
You can use polystyrene to make your molds and later melt it out with a
solvent. There should be not heat problem with epoxy resin unless you have a
particularly volumous area of resin, going off at once.
Mixing ratios for epoxy resin are critical. There are so many part A
molecules to bond with part B and if the mix is slightly incorrect, you end
up with unbonded free molecules, not contributing to the structure strength.
Polyester resin does not have this problem but is inferior in strength, sets
very fast and is cheaper but I wouldn't recommend it.
It has been mentioned that there could develop stress or other cracks in
carbon fiber. Carbon fiber, although immensely strong for it's weight, is
also extremely brittle. When a carbon fiber mast breaks on an America's Cup
yacht, they have to replace all the ropes/lines as the deck gets showered
with fine glass like shards which cut hands to pieces. I think it would be
like most other materials in that if your have have where stress is
concentrated, you must avoid sharp corners and radiate stress away from
stressed areas otherwise it will crack like any other material and may give
less indication of it doing so, than steel. You can test for cracks like
steel, using dye penetrants, magnetic penetrants (I'm fairly sure) and of
course x-rays, as you may have to for a surveyed steel hull anyway.
Like steel, if you get the design accepted for construction, you may have to
have regular inspections during the construction process, cores samples may
need to be taken etc. Also, you may have to build it a heat and humidity
controlled environment which you would want to do to some extent anyway.
Like the Firestone tires, bonding between layers, requires strict humidity
levels.
Whoever sells you the carbon fiber and resin may require certain conditions
to be kept or want to waive their responsibilities as well, as do paint
manufacturers.

I personally would still consider using carbon fiber but I would seriously
weigh it against Pat's suggestion of using a steel inner hull and glass
outer shell, to create the efficient shape you require. You can put ballast
tanks, bottles, dropweights, pipes etc., between the skins. Also you can
have the frames on the outside and use them to support the glass skin,
saving internal room as well. I agree with Paul that it is strong enough and
would unmanned, test the sub to certain depths, periodically, to be assured
of it's continued integrity. Perhaps even treat it has you would your ports,
accepting they have a limited life, like aircraft frames.

When you mentioned the hull shape for your sub Tony, I got the impression
you where implying an out of round sectional shape athwart ships ? If this
were so, you would be constructing a hull that has very difficult to
calculate design compression problems. The reason you never see an out of
round hull, is the danger of collapse due to the shape. Hope you didn't mean
this as upon finding you, you might end up looking  indistinguishable from
your spirulina swamp rebreather !( Swamp breather food :-( )

I also would like to have on any info on comparative carbon fiber to steel,
information you Paul or anyone has. Thanks in advance.

I'm totally open to any comments on what I've written.

Regards, Karl.