Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Pressure compensation

In a message dated 8/13/00 7:09:04 PM Pacific Daylight Time, buchner@wcta.net
writes:

> Does everybody have batteries isolated in a separate pod outside the main
> hull to protect occupants against kaboominations? If not, I've often idly
> wondered about what to do if the interior of the sub were getting partially
> flooded and the battery was in danger of getting shorted out. Could the
> battery box be filled with oil and have some sort of great big main
> disconnect inside, so that once that was pulled there would be no live
> conductors in contact with the water? Just thinking.

If you have standard lead acid batteries (like what is used in cars) then I
would want to think twice before submerging them in oil, particularly to make
sure there aren't any unwanted chemical reactions with the oil and the acid.
A way to get past that would be getting some sealed batteries along the lines
of NiCd or Gel-Cells.

As for the problem with stuff shorting out and shocking you....naaaah, as
long as you aren't part of the path of least resistance you should be fine,
but putting a copper bar closeby could help a bit.

Anthony