Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Pressure compensation

-----Original Message-----
From: David Buchner <buchner@wcta.net>
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Date: Sunday, August 13, 2000 9:12 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Pressure compensation

>Seriously, how does this magnetic coupling work? Is the whole motor inside,
and then there's a magnet on the >end of the shaft which turns a magnet
outside the housing attached to the propellor? Or does it work like an
>quarium pump I used to have -- which had the staionary magnetic coil part
of the motor sealed in epoxy inside >he case, with the case "donut" shaped
so that it wrapped around the shaft on the out/water-side of the case?

I've not seen one yet.  I did some searching on the net last night, but no
luck.  I did find a company in Warren, PA that manufactures magnetic
couplings.  I'm going to try and get some literature from them, and
hopefully some drawings.  http://www.rexnord.com/prod06.html

>>Then isolate your grounds.
>
>What does that mean, exactly?

If you go back and look at the technical description of the Holland as
written by Holland himself, I beleive he says at one point that all grounds
should be isolated from the hull.  This just makes good sense.  As long as
the grounds are isolated there is little chance of a short especially since
you could be the conduit as you are almost always in contact with the
pressure hull.  So I figure isolate everything.  Make all connections
waterproof as much as possible.
Big Dave