Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Need wire glands and such

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dennis Line" <neptune769@netzero.net>
To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Sunday, August 13, 2000 4:26 PM
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Need wire glands and such

> "Hello List,:

Hey Dennis, howzit!?

"First a brief bio. (SNIP). I am .. interested in underwater vehicles ...I
have been a machinist for 13 years also."

Good, then the suggestion I'm about to make will be no problem for you to
manufacture.

"I am looking for marine cable and wire glands.  Thank you, Dennis Line
neptune769@netzero.net"

OK, you said you're making a wet sub, so I'm guessing you want a watertight
gland for routing wire and / or cable from your battery box to the motor and
/ or control potentiometer, right?  If that's so, you could buy them, but
one that will work is pretty easily made.

If the battery box is, as you say, made of  heavy aluminum plate, a short
section of aluminum tube with threaded ends,  welded into an aperature
penetrating the housing wall; equipped with threaded pipe caps on both ends
which have a hole drilled through their centers; will do the trick.

Pass the wire through the gland; fill it with something watertight (silicon
if you want it to be removable; epoxy if that's not important to you); and
thread the caps on.  The silicon / epoxy filled gland makes an airtight /
watertight through-hull for the cable, and the caps will keep the water
pressure from forcing the internal plug through.  I've done it and it works
really well.  Economical, too.

Hope this helps,

Pat