Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] An Idea for a PSUB Periscope

Ray,

     The camera would have to also rotate, otherwise the image would be
inverted as the mirror saw it at 180 degrees.  I thought of that earlier
even what kind of cylinder would have to be used to house the rotating
mirror/camera.  Acrylic that is cast or extruded does not have the optical
clarity you need to look perpendicular to its axis.  It's a mess
optically!  The best thing is to probably use the mirror and camera inside
a housing that rotates also.  That way you can have a flat plate window for
the camera to look through.  The only problem here is right becomes left
viewed thorough the mirror.  This can be fixed by changing the polarity of
the horizontal yoke coils in the monitor if it's not solid state
(LCD).  This way the beam scans right to left.
     Another option would be to create a camera housing shape much like an
AWAC (Sp?) dome that could be rotated.  No mater what direction the camera
was pointed in the system would be streamlined.  It would use no
mirror.  Linkage could be through the hull for drive.  I wish I had dome
this but I didn't.  I got 20/20 hindsight but not with my periscope.  :-)
     The reason I wanted the thing in the first place was to be able to see
where I was without blowing ballast.  I would dive and loose my orientation
to topside landmarks in lakes.  I would then have to blow air into my tanks
to get the windows above the waterline.  Now, I can see above the surface
without surfacing.  Plus it helps when playing sub commander.

GB