Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] An Idea for a PSUB Periscope

Hi,

Is the idea to have the camera fixed looking forward or to be
able to rotate it? I have been thinking of having a camera looking up
the cylindrical casing then reflecting off a mirror through a window in
the side of the cylinder. See ascii drawing.

          Casing
       -------
      |       |
      |       |-|
      |     / | |		M = Mirror
      |    /  | |		C = Camera
      |  */   | |View Port	* = Mirror pivit axis
      |  /    | |		ZL = Zoom Lens
      |M/     | |		RM = Rotate Motor
      |   ZL  |-|
      |   --  |
      |  |--| |
      |  |  | |
      |  |C | |
      |  |  | |
      |   --  |
      |  _    |
      | | |   |
      | |_|RM |
      |-------|
      |-------|  Rotate Joint
         | |
         | |
         | | MAST
         | |
         | |
         | |

The mirror could be pivited up and down on a horzontal axis
"*". On the camera would be a zoom lens. The whole pod
can rotate 360 degrees on the end of a stream lined
MAST. The rotation would from a motor in the casing.
Electrical power and video signal would be through
wires inside the mast between the casing and hull.

The trick will keeping it all water tight. Adding the
complication of an extendable mast makes it all worse.
Perhaps a mast that pivots like some of the early WWII
snorkels like:

            _
           | | Camera casing
           |_|