From: Captain Nemo <vulcania@interpac.net>
To: Personal (Discussion) Submersibles <Personal_Submersibles@psubs.org>
Date: Tuesday, August 01, 2000 1:57 PM
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Trailers (revisited)...

Hi Guys,

We were discussing trailer launching techniques and equipment the other day; the subject of my trike-trailer came up; and now it occurs to me there's something I neglected to say.

I totally agree with Vance, Gary, and others that a trailer with brake-equipped duals is desirable for hauling heavy subs.

The only reason I have a trike is that my sub was built under limitations of time and money; when I bought the trailer I modified, it was the only one I could find and afford at the time, and I had to have something to get the boat out of the back yard and down to the Marina (only a block away) for initial tests.

One of these days I'm going to get a "real" trailer for this boat; the one I buy for my next project will also include duals and brakes.  I don't really feel "safe" without them; but at the time I build my first sub, I pretty much had to take what I could find and afford.

With only two main wheels, the trike arrangement works well for launch and recovery, and it served my limited needs (most of the time); but towing it any distance, or at any speed, is pretty chancy.  Given a choice, braked-duals are the way to go.

Hope I didn't give anyone the wrong idea.

Pat

I think we have discussed this before, but how heavy is your sub Pat??  Gary I know yours weighs around 6000 lbs..I agree that a sub that heavy should have trailor brakes.. My Kboat will only be about 2000 lbs, and I am not planning on putting brakes on it.. both because I cannot afford it at this time, and because I dont think you need brakes on anything under 2500lbs.. (although it is nice)   any thoughts.??

dale.