RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Hydrogen Peroxide: on to the topic of flywheels

Wade,
     A sub powered by a flywheel would be of little use with the exception
of breaking some sort of speed record for underwater craft.  Such a craft
would be far from the design of a human powered wet-sub.  Back in the
1960's someone put a flywheel in a Corvair.  I remember as a kid reading
that the amount of energy stored in that flywheel was enough to raise the
whole car some 19,000+ feet above sea level.  That's quite a bit of kinetic
energy stored.  This would be too exotic for most all
applications.  However, if you wanted a sub that had the equivalent of a
6-liter V8 for about 2 minutes, it may be what you're looking for.  Yes, it
would be one heck of a ride.
     The problem with FW propulsion has always been the coupling of the
energy to the wheels of a car.  As the energy is drained from the FW, the
RPM decreases.  You can pull the same amount of power from a FW system from
start to finish but you must take the power with an ever decreasing RPM
(angular velocity).  This means you will have to increase the torque
automobile.  However, if you had variable pitch blades on your props you
could couple the right amount of torque to deliver a steady power transfer.
     Yes, this would be dangerous.  But there are some that would like to
set the land speed record and others that want to set the speed record for
boats (hydroplanes).  I am not proposing to do this.  It is just something
that I have pondered through the years.  The actual speed record for
submarines is classified but way over 50 knots.
     When I said, "Counter Rotating Props", I was talking about two
propellers turning in opposite directions.  Some subs have the two props
co-located.  This has to do with torque.  I am not a prop expert so I am
unsure of the efficiencies.  But, when two props are used together
turbulence from one will have a negative effect on the other.  This can be
prevented by using two props and separating them.  Will they let you have
two props?

GB