[PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: Hydrogen Peroxide

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000 21:04:55 -0400 "Allan Gaines" writes:
>Speaking of H2O2, it seems like *MANY* years ago
>I read in a book that the Royal (British) Navy experimented
>with two H2O2 fueled subs called the Excalibur and
>Excelsior.  Is this correct, and does anyone know what
>happened with them?  Seems like the book I read said
>the program was still classified.

It was Explorer and Excalibur.  Launched in about 1950,
and after experience with a German H2O2 U-boat the
Brits had rechristened Meteorite.

The RN had Helmut Walther and his team there to
help, and the things never quite ran well.   The
crew of one renamed her "Exploder."

The book "U-Boat" (Roessler?) has a section on
the Walther boats, and they seemed to run fairly
well for the Germans during tests.

In 1993, I tried to get the builder's plans to the
two British H2O2 boats.  They were still quite
secret at that time . . . even the hull shape.

Mike Holt
--

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.