Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Trailer questions

----- Original Message -----
From: <VBra676539@aol.com>
To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 19, 2000 1:19 PM
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Trailer questions

>" Dale,
>
> The only thing I can add to the voice of experience over there in Hawaii
is a reminder that the double axle design of George's allows a K-sub to sit
more or less squarely over the axles. Pat's tongue wheel is not necessary
except on a normal trailer jack to lift the hitch off the ball."

I'd say that's probably right.  If you had duals and your weight was
balanced over them, you might not need a third (fifth?) wheel.

 "The Nautilus looks to have its weight distributed over a much greater
length than our boats, giving him a little extra tongue weight and requiring
the extra support (right, Pat?) when the trailer is disconnected."

Man!  You aint kidding!  The trailer wasn't really designed for the sub; I
bought it used and adapted it.  The CW on the sub is slightly ahead of the
side window: I needed to position the CW over the single axle and slightly
toward the vehicle on the trailer, so she wouldn't go unstable during
towing.  Kind of just guestimated it, you could say.  But the tongue weight
(the force exerted downwards on the bumper hitch) is extremely heavy,
compared to most boats I've seen.  I can lift it by hand, but it takes a lot
of strength.  A floor jack is preferable for lifting, and the trike wheel is
absolutely necessary for cable launching.  I don't think I could move the
sub weight far enough back toward the axle to make much difference in the
tongue weight before I ran out of room and had the sub hanging too far off
the back of the trailer.  Even if I did, I'd still need the trike wheel,
because I've only got a single axle main gear.  What I need is a better
trailer: something with duals custom made would be nice.  Maybe one of these
days...

> "By comparison, the Ks are so short that the hull itself only has a 16" to
18" overhang front to back, beyond the axle's center to center location.
Very handy. All you need to do is shift the thing forward an inch or three
to give you a 150ish pound tongue weight and you are ready to rock and roll.
Mine tows like a dream at 75mph."

In comparison to the 66 Chevy 6-cylinder Sportvan I originally trailered
mine with, which had broken shocks, worn springs, and began to dolphin so
bad at 50 MPH crossing the bridge (when I was going to put her on display at
a local dive show) that I almost lost control and ended up in the drink,
sub, trailer, van, and all.  And man!  You ought to see that single tongue
flex!  When the trike is installed, the 3rd wheel cants over about 10 to 15
degrees!  Really freaky!  I mean, it worked well enough for the float tests,
but just barely.  When we take her to Kona this September, we're probably
going to load the trailer on a flatbed truck for the drive to the other side
of the island.  As trailers go, mine is pretty poor.

 "They are harder than average to back because the tongue is short, but when
you park it in the garage, it will sit almost evenly with no support at all
under the tongue so you can heave it around a little bit by hand if you need
to."

Again, in comparison to mine: when I want to move it a bit in the garage, I
grab a big steel bar to "lever it over" an inch or two at a time.  A real
pain.  Gotta get a better trailer.

> "Hey, Pat. Day 3 of 84. Sound familiar?  Vance"

Yep!  Lynn and I are on Day 38 of 84 in CHALLENGE 2000.  I know exactly what
you mean.  And allow me to say "Congratulations and good for you!"  I'm
really jazzed about BFL because I honestly believe it's the best thing we
can do for ourselves.  A lot of people listen and agree with me, but almost
nobody actually DOES it.  But you're going for it and I'm really glad to
hear that.  How are your energy levels?  Up, I'll bet.  Get it on, dude!
This is a good thing!

Pat